Links - cavy news
From wikicavy ilriwikis
Cavies / Cobayes / Cuyes in the MEDIA
News from Peru (Perulactea) about cavy culture (in Spanish)
- The Learning Territory on “Sustainable minor livestock breeding for food security and income raising of rural families” in Peru. An opportunity for South-to-South Cooperation between Latin American and African countries; by Barbara Massler in rural iKNOWations, 16 February 2017; URL: [https:medium.com/rural-iknowations/learning-territory-sustainable-minor-livestock-breeding-for-food-security-and-income-raising-of-8d67ca432997#.yyvwu1yuy| https:medium.com/rural-iknowations/learning-territory-sustainable-minor-livestock-breeding-for-food-security-and-income-raising-of-8d67ca432997#.yyvwu1yuy].
- Minagri: Cuyes peruanos combaten el hambre y desnutrición en África [in Spanish = Cavies combat hunger and undernutrition in Africa] - based on a short conversation with Lilia Chauca Francia (INIA, Peru) who is announcing the International Cavy Symposium in Cameroon; by RPP noticias, published on 23 Apr. 2016; http://rpp.pe/peru/actualidad/minagri-cuyes-peruanos-combaten-el-hambre-y-desnutricion-en-africa-noticia-956469
- Guinea pig breeding helps Papua New Guinea families, endangered wildlife survive food shortage; by Eric Tlozek in The World Today, 29 March 2016; URL: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-29/guinea-pigs-key-to-helping-png-survive-food-shortages/7271492
- Is America Ready for Farm-to-Table Guinea Pig?; by Angela Drake in Modern Farmer magazine, 8 December 2015; URL: http://modernfarmer.com/2015/12/cuy/
- Guinea pigs – small livestock with big potential; by Eduardo Lopez Rosse A. in FarmingMatters 30.4, pp. 22-23 by AgriCultures, December 2014; URL: http://www.agriculturesnetwork.org/magazines/global/reclaiming-nutrition/guinea-pigs?utm_source=mag-dec-2014&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=Guinea-pigs&utm_campaign=30-4
- Urban farming venture wins man accolades and income; by Isabella Mukumu in Business Daily, 10 Nov. 2014; URL: http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Urban-farming-venture-wins-man-accolades-and-income/-/1248928/2517736/-/12gdkk3z/-/index.html
- IFAD: Guinea pigs bring prosperity to poor women in China; March 2014; URL: []
- From pets to plates: Why more people are eating guinea pigs. By Alastair Bland in NPR blogs, 02 Apr 2013; URL: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/03/12/174105739/from-pets-to-plates-why-more-people-are-eating-guinea-pigs
- A crucial resource for livelihood resilience for displaced and poor families in eastern DR Congo. Cavy Project Brief by BecA/ILRI and partners, Feb. 2014. To be downloaded here: File:wikicavy/Cavies - Info to DevPartners.pdf PDF (1 MB)
- 11 raisons d’élever les cobayes. By Bedima, I.M., Meutchieye, F., Mekongo, U. and Kana, J. in La voix du paysan. Cameroun. Jan. 2014, N° 272, pp. 5-9.
- Un système de recherche-vulgarisation intégré: exemple du projet cobayes au Cameroun. By Félix Meutchieye and Idriss G. Nyebe Mvogo in Innovation, Environnement, Developpement - AGRIDAPE Vulgarisation et conseil agricoles, Sep. 2013 - Vol. 29 N°3; URL: http://www.iedafrique.org/Un-systeme-de-recherche.html
- Cavies - big potential in small livestock. New Agriculturalist, November 2013; URL: http://www.new-ag.info/en/news/newsitem.php?a=3139
- Peru is world's guinea pig capital. By Rachel Chase in Peru this Week - National; 11 Oct. 2013.
- Peru declared the second Friday of October as the "National Cavy Day" (el dia nacional del cuy). This was first celebrated on 11 Oct. 2013. Various events were celebrated and recognition to the importance of the cavy was given by the Minister of Agriculture, Milton von Hesse on RPP Noticias [in Spanish]: http://www.rpp.com.pe/2013-10-11-von-hesse-destaca-importancia-del-dia-nacional-del-cuy-noticia_638483.html
- Molecular study makes a difference to guinea pig producers in eastern Congo. ILRI clippings posted by Peter Ballantyne; 30 June 2013; URL: http://clippings.ilri.org/2013/06/30/cavy-congo/
- Et pourquoi pas l’élevage du cobaye? by Félix Meutchieye, University of Dschang, Cameroon; Afrique Agriculture No. 393 (Mars-Avril 2013): pp. 38-39.
- The cavy is seen as the solution to the famine suffered in the Congo [El cuy es visto como la solución para la hambruna que se sufre en el Congo]; El Comercio (Lima, Peru), 2 March 2013; URL: http://www.cepes.org.pe/notiagro/sites/default/files/D-EC-02032013%20-%20El%20Comercio%20-%20Mundo%20-%20pag%2020.pdf and
- Guinea pig meat improves food security in war-torn Congo; NBCNews.com, Photo-Blog, 22 Feb 2013; URL: http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/22/17060430-guinea-pig-meat-improves-food-security-in-war-torn-congo?lite=
- New research program for humid tropics to boost world food production while reducing severe poverty; ILRI News, 21 Nov 2012; URL: http://www.ilri.org/ilrinews/index.php/archives/9988
- Cavies bring protein, income and health benefits across African Savannah; by Larelle McMillan, CSIRO and Brigitte Maass, CIAT; New Agriculturalist, August 2012; URL: []
- Guinea pigs for African tables? A ‘Cavy Innovation Platform’ is set up in Cameroon. by Susan MacMillan, ILRI, 3 May 2012; URL: http://www.agrifeeds.org/en/news/guinea-pigs-african-tables-%E2%80%98cavy-innovation-platform%E2%80%99-set-cameroon
- Different food: Could the guinea pig be a new protein source in Africa? by Emma Batha, AlertNet, 2 May 2012; URL: http://www.trust.org/alertnet/news/could-the-guinea-pig-be-a-new-protein-source-in-africa.
- Traditional food gets research boost; by Catherine Miller, Stock Journal (Australia), 18 Jan 2012; URL: http://sj.farmonline.com.au/news/state/niche/general/traditional-food-gets-research-boost/2409909.aspx
- Granny is fed and clothed by rodents; by Boniface Mwangi, Daily Nation (Nairobi, Kenya), 4 Aug 2011, p. 6; URL: [http:allafrica.com/stories/201108040014.html| http:allafrica.com/stories/201108040014.html. ]
- Guinea pigs in drive to improve food security in DRC; by Neil Palmer, 15 Feb 2010; URL: http://www.ciatnews.cgiar.org/2010/02/15/guinea-pigs-in-drive-to-improve-food-security-in-drc/.
- [http:www.peruviantimes.com/03/peru-guinea-pig-improves-genetic-potential-domestic-sales-increase-significantly/1962/| Peru guinea pig improves genetic potential, domestic sales increase significantly] from Peruvian Times//, 3 March 2009.
- When the hungry refuse to be used like guinea pigs. One farmer’s dream to get rich while ending food shortages proves elusive; by B. Bii, Daily Nation (Nairobi, Kenya – National News), 18 Apr 2007, p. 3; URL: []
- Export of cavies and cavy meat [Exportación del cuy, in Spanish] - for example: http://www.rmr-peru.com/exportacion-cuyes.htm.
- Rise of the giant guinea pigs; by Rick Vecchio, Mail & Guardian (South Africa), 19 Oct. 2004; URL: http://mg.co.za/article/2004-10-19-rise-of-the-giant-guinea-pigs.
- Anon. 2011. Projekte zur integrierten ländlichen Entwicklung im Süden von Tansania (Mafinga, Mdabulo – all in Iringa) in: Meine runde Welt... Nicole Loretz – 07.03.2011
- Anon. 2010a. – 12.10.2010
- Anon. 2010b. – 12.10.2010
Last update: 03 March 2017